I know staples aren’t sewing.
That’s a good thing for me.
I’ve recently had a hard time feeling motivated to sit down at my sewing machine, but that has changed since I swapped out my ratty old ironing board cover for something fresh and new. It’s brightened my whole sewing space.
I didn’t take pictures of the whole process, but it was very straightforward and very quick. My old board was one of the college dorm ones you can buy at Joanns for a couple of bucks. There’s a dry erase board on the back, and it’s meant to hang on a wall when not in use.
It didn’t quite fit in my sewing machine travel bag, so I had my sweetheart cut off the end of the board that narrows like traditional boards. It’s now a very useful rectangle.
I took one layer of leftover Warm and Natural Cotton batting and one layer of Insulbrite thermal batting and cut them flush with the edges of my board – about 12×18″. I placed a piece of home dec weight fabric from Ikea over the top of that and stapled the Ikea fabric to the underside.
I realize the corners could be a bit more elegant, but I just pulled the fabric tightly in the middle and on either side and stapled it as securely as I could.
The finished look is good enough for me. It should last a little while, and I’m pretty sure I can get at least two or three more rounds of staples in there before I feel like ditching the board. That’s pretty good for a couple of bucks at Joann’s!
Linking with crazymomquilts and the other Friday Finishes!